Friday, August 14, 2026

I don’t want any of my cameras to feel lonely.




I have quite a few old Sony cameras sitting around the house. Some people might look at them and wonder why I still keep them, never mind why I still take them out and use them.

My answer is pretty simple: I don’t want any of my cameras to feel lonely.

Over the years I have collected Sony cameras like the NEX-3, a3000, a5000 and a6000. They are all getting old by digital-camera standards, but every one of them still takes pictures. So why should they spend the rest of their lives sitting on a shelf?

I like to rotate them.

One day I might take the little NEX-3 downtown. Another day the a3000 gets to come along. Then it might be the a5000 or a6000. It is almost like taking a different old friend along on my photo walk.

Every camera also makes me photograph a little differently.

The NEX-3 reminds me how simple photography can be. The a3000 has that traditional camera shape and feels completely different in my hands. The a5000 is small and easy to carry around Toronto. The a6000 is still a great little camera when I want something a bit more capable.

Do newer cameras have better auto focus, more megapixels and all sorts of new technology? Of course they do.

But that doesn't mean my old cameras suddenly forgot how to take photographs.

That is one of the things I enjoy about photography. I don't have to own the newest camera to enjoy walking around Toronto looking for an interesting person, building, reflection or little piece of everyday life.

Sometimes taking out an old camera is actually more fun. There isn't the pressure of carrying around an expensive new piece of equipment. I already know the camera. I know its little quirks. I can just walk, look around and take pictures.

And there is something else about using old cameras.

They have memories attached to them.

When I pick up one of these cameras, I can remember some of the places it has been with me and some of the photographs I have taken with it. A camera eventually becomes more than a collection of electronics. It becomes part of your photography story.

So I refuse to let one camera become the favourite while all the others sit forgotten on the shelf.

When I look at my collection, I sometimes imagine them saying:

"Hey Bob, you took the a6000 out last week. When is it my turn?"

Don't worry.

Everybody gets a turn.

As long as my old Sony cameras keep working, I'll keep taking them on photo walks. They may be old. They may not have the latest technology.

But they are certainly not going to be lonely.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don’t want any of my cameras to feel lonely.

I have quite a few old Sony cameras sitting around the house. Some people might look at them and wonder why I still keep them, never mind wh...