This month marks a special milestone for me. It has been 15 years since I joined my first Toronto Photo Walk. Looking back, I never imagined that one Saturday morning would turn into fifteen years of adventures, thousands of photographs, and friendships that have lasted a lifetime.
People often ask me why I keep going on photo walks. The answer is simple.
I found the city of Toronto.
Before I started walking with a camera, Toronto was just a place to visit. I knew the major landmarks, but I didn't really know the city. Over the past fifteen years, I've explored neighbourhoods I never would have visited otherwise. I've wandered through alleyways, markets, waterfront trails, industrial districts, parks, festivals, and quiet residential streets that all have their own stories to tell.
The camera gave me a reason to slow down.
Instead of rushing from one place to another, I started noticing the little things—a reflection in a puddle, a smile from a stranger, an old brick building catching the morning light, or a construction worker taking a coffee break. Those moments are what street photography is all about, and Toronto has given me an endless supply of them.
I've watched the city change over the years. New skyscrapers have appeared where parking lots once stood. Historic buildings have disappeared while others have been restored. I've photographed celebrations, protests, parades, sporting events, firefighters, police officers, tourists, musicians, and everyday people simply living their lives.
Every walk has been different.
One of the greatest gifts these photo walks have given me isn't just the photographs—it's the people. I've met photographers from every background and skill level, and many have become good friends. We've spent countless Saturdays exploring together, and just as importantly, we've ended many of those walks in a neighbourhood pub, sharing lunch, enjoying a beer, and talking about photography, cameras, and life. Those conversations have become just as much a part of the tradition as taking pictures.
Fifteen years later, I'm still learning. Every walk teaches me something new about photography, and every walk shows me another side of Toronto that I hadn't noticed before.
People sometimes travel halfway around the world looking for great photographs. I've discovered that some of the best ones are right here in my own city. All I had to do was start walking.
So here's to fifteen years of photo walks, thousands of photographs, countless laughs, and a city that never stops surprising me.
I'm already looking forward to the next walk.
Toronto isn't just where I take photographs anymore. After fifteen years of photo walking, it's a city I've truly come to know.

No comments:
Post a Comment